Monday, July 21, 2008

Recycling in a small town

The whole world has sent out the red alert that we need to be better at being "green". I have found that this poses quite the problem when you live in a small town. Unlike our friends that live in the city, we do not get a recycle pick-up at the garbage stop. This makes recycling very inconvenient. I had decided that recycling just wasn't for us because it wasn't easy....that was until I decided that we were the trashiest family in town. Seriously, the amount of trash that was coming out of this house was incredible. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to contain all our trash to the one huge receptacle that we have. I mean, it gets picked up twice a week, there's no reason why this shouldn't be doable for a family of 4.

Baby steps.

1) The local grocery has the plastic bag recycle bin, so that's easy. We do that.

2) The cardboard boxes from cereal and so many of the other foods and products are now going to have to find a recycle center. This has cut down tremendously on our weekly garbage load.

3) AND....Gasp! I'm using cloth diapers. (I know, I can't believe it either) There. I said it publicly. I can't decide if this was because I want us to be less trashy or because the diapers are so darn cute and easy to use these days. (pics to come soon)

These are the things we are going to ease into for now. Hopefully we'll add more as these become more of a habit. Like I said. Baby steps.

(and, yes, that is a Target bag holding all the plastic bags ready to be recycled....I know, I know.... I had banned Target, but I broke down and have gone a few times because they have the best local selection of "green" cleaning products)

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I recently made a post about "Going Granola". I loved seeing this....curious about your cloth diapers. That is something I've wanting to try and I may wait until the next baby, but I'd love to know where you get yours.