Monday, July 27, 2009

TriWaco: A Tale of Two Athletes

This weekend was big for Waco. I don't know all the history on it, but I know that Waco used to host triathlons and then one day it stopped. Now it has started again. Yesterday.

There were lots of people from all over that came to do the triathlon and I heard lots of them saying that it was the best venue they'd ever competed at. Pretty cool!

Anyway, back up to early, early spring. My friend Sondra says she is going to do the triathlon. She trained and trained and trained and trained. Mind you, she was already in perfect shape even before all the triathlon specific training. When the triathlon came into play she just became more focused.

Like this...


Like an athlete should be before a big event.


Deep breaths Sondra. You are going to do fine.


I'm not too sure about the two ladies to the left of her though. I'm pretty sure she psyched them out. Maybe they are just scared of her....I'm not sure.


Is she having second thoughts? No, no way. But, she scared the other two ladies off and now this lady to the left of her looks as if she is definitely regretting her commitment to the event.


They finally got her wave into the water. I'm sure the other athletes were glad. I think her focus was scaring them all away.


She's off to a great start!


She got a good lead in the swim. No time was wasted getting to her bike.


The focus continues as she heads out on her bike.



Meanwhile, her Dad that she flew in from Seattle is off getting a Starbucks. He didn't even bring me one. Dear Dad, You live in the city in which Starbucks was founded. You missed her swim to run transition for your beloved Starbucks. Tisk. Tisk. And yes, I will send you the pictures. The End. Now back to the race...


The girl can run. That's all I can say. Dear Sondra, I thought you said you couldn't run without your iPod. Don't tell me stories like that again.



It's a bird...



It's a plane...



NO, it's CORT!




Dude, you are supposed to be in pain. You are supposed to look like this is hard. At least let us think that it was hard. If not, we're all going to want to do it. Then the city of Waco will be taken over by triathloners and the Y will be packed and I won't be able to get on a treadmill and every time we drive on the farm roads we'll have to dodge bicyclists and then Academy will run out of swim goggles and then all the Dad's will come in town and buy all the Starbucks and then... Nevermind.

We must focus.

Sondra is about to finish!!


Here she comes! Great job Sondra! She finished second in her division by a hair and then she was like top 25 overall....that's men and women! And hello, there were like 600 people doing this. That's just awesome. That's all I have to say about that.

Oh wait...

And what about Cort you say?

He did awesome, too.


But, here he is right as he's coming off the finish line. Smiling. I told you not to make this look like fun. You didn't listen.


I mean, the boy just did a triathlon. I don't even think that he is sweating.

I think I heard him say it was too easy and he's going to do the Olympic division next time.

Oh,



no, I must have been mistaken.

Please don't come and hunt me down.

I think that I made another mistake, too. He made it look so fun that I may or may not have pinky promised one of my former athletes that was there watching her uncle that we would do this next year.

Yikes.

With that said, I was up at 4:30 this morning getting myself to boot camp.

There were other friends that I have that did the triathlon and they all did so awesome. Each and every one of them. I just chose to pick on Sondra and Cort. I'm going to try to get pics of everyone up as well in the near future! Great job everyone!

3 comments:

Mama Jeannie said...

AWESOME!!! Oh to have a flat stomach like that again... or is it.... ever. :0) Coby, our son, says he's going to do it next year. He was there watching and said the atomosphere was amazing and so fun! Makes me wish I could be involved. This ole body would need a major makeover and then some. Glad your friend did such an awesome job.

Allison said...

Seriously, how does Sondra get abs like that after two babies? She must have worked her butt off training! What an inspiration to all of us. And Cort definitely made it look too easy... Great pictures.

Emily said...

I love your posts! Good for you wanting to do a triathalon, you can totally do it! I might train for the local 5K ;)